May 19 - Campout, 9 AM, Valley Pines, pickup up Sunday at 8 AM – plan to camp outdoors, cook outdoors, and bring plenty of water and food to prepare.
May 21 – Gym Night, 8 PM First Church – please pay for Ft Ticonderoga if you haven’t already
May 26 - Annual replacement of graveside flags at Cemeteries (8 AM Village, 9 AM Old North) – we ask that scouts carpool to Village and from Village to Old North, and remind all that this is a solemn occasion, not an event with a timer and accuracy is the goal, not speed. Scouts should wear their uniform shirts, no sashes, and depending on the weather we may suggest shorts rather than scout pants – please wait for further instruction.
May 28 – No Meeting (Memorial Day holiday) - Parade, meet at 9:15 at the Korean War Memorial in Jackson Square – full uniforms, including green pants, belt, shoes, shirt, NO SASHES
June 2 -3 Fort Ticonderoga trip
CAMP2018 – July 22nd – July 29th
Drum Corps reminder – we may be practicing a few evenings before the parade – watch for more info.
All Scouts are reminded of the following
At meeting and events you are in the care of troop leadership – we ask that you please have the courtesy and respect to let the Scoutmaster know when you are leaving early from a meeting or event.
Please do not leave the Clubhouse and venture across North Street to 7-11 – this is a busy street, and while you are in OUR care we ask that you remain on the property.
Two very simple requests for your safety and our sanity. If you have any questions, let us know.
- Troop 2 is planning an overnight visit and stay at Fort Ticonderoga in upstate NY on June 2 and 3rd. In this scout program, scouts will be immersed in the daily routine of the Continental soldiers garrisoning Fort Ticonderoga in the weeks after the capture of Fort Ticonderoga by Ethan Allen and Benedict Arnold in 1775. Attendance is limited to 30, cost will be $150.00 and includes transportation and food.
Participants will need to bring a uniform shirt, sleeping bag and pad, and clothes and footwear sufficient for an overnight stay. We will be sleeping in tents at the fort. Scouts should pack their gear in a backpack or large bag to keep it all together.
- We will be attending MassJam in October 6-8 2018 - On Columbus Day weekend, 2018 thousands of Scouts, Webelos, and Venturers from Massachusetts and surrounding states will descend on the Cape Cod Fairgrounds in East Falmouth, Massachusetts for three days of Scouting fun. More information will be shared throughout the summer.
- Eagles - Mayflower Council has issued a new form for Eagle Scout Candidate Letters of Recommendation https://www.mayflowerbsa.org/wp-content/uploads/Eagle-Scout-Reference-Letter-Request.pdf The process remains the same - candidates should print this form, and provide their references with the preaddressed envelope (all letters must be mailed to the Clubhouse) and a postage stamp. Candidates must provide letters of recommendation from a parent, clergy, teacher, employer, and two others. A Life scout can request these references at any time during their Eagle scout candidacy, which begins 6 months after they've received their LIFE rank. If you have any questions, please let us know!
- We've had several questions about the changes in Boy Scouting and the impact on our Troop. The link below provides some guidance to the changes at the National level, and serve as a guide while the program evolves. https://scoutingwire.org/the-boy-scouts-of-america-organization-name-is-not-changing-and-other-facts-to-set-the-record-straight/ To clear any confusion - Troop 2 (and Pack 2) are not chartered as co-educational units. Troop 2 does not plan to offer a co-educational program, and will remain a male only Troop. Youth interested in a co-educational scouting program are encouraged to contact Mayflower Council to find a chartered program in their area. The Weymouth Heights Club, our chartering organization, also sponsors and supports Girl Scout programs that meet regularly in the clubhouse (chartering for Girl Scouting a different process than Boy Scouting). To ensure accurate and clear answers to any questions, please email us at email@example.com or connect in person with David or I.
- Reminder – Unless otherwise noted, attendance at Boy Scout events is restricted to registered Boy Scouts, ages 11-18, and registered Adults. Unless otherwise noted, siblings, adults, and guests are not anticipated at events, and are not covered by BSA liability insurance in most cases. Please speak to Mr. Chase if you have any questions or concerns.